Less than 300 Calorie Dinners
Creamy Ricotta-Artichoke Lasagna
Prep Time:45 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 40 min
9 dried whole grain lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 packages (8 or 9 oz) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and well drained
1/4 cup pine nuts
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 carton (15 oz) light ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Italian-blend cheese or part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
1 cup snipped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free milk
Chopped fresh tomato (optional)
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water and drain well. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add artichokes, pine nuts, and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of the Italian-blend cheese, 1/2 cup of the fresh basil or 1 tablespoon of the dried basil, the egg, and salt.
3. For sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk together chicken broth and flour until smooth. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce is slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil.
4. Pour 1 cup of the sauce into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with three of the cooked lasagna noodles. Carefully spread one-third of the ricotta mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) evenly over the noodles. Top with one-third of the remaining sauce (about 2/3 cup). Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the remaining Italian-blend cheese. Repeat layers twice more, beginning with the lasagna noodles and ending with the Italian-blend cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with tomato and parsley.
1/8 of the lasagna: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 380mg; Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 6g); Protein 19g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 30%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Mediterranean Beef Pita Pizzas
Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:35 min
6 ounces lean ground beef or lamb
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
2 6-inch whole wheat pita bread rounds
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (1 ounce)
12 pitted kalamata or ripe olives, quartered
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium nonstick skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is browned; drain off fat. Stir tomato sauce and rosemary into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
2. Carefully split pita bread rounds in half horizontally; place pita halves, rough sides up, in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. Top toasted pita bread with meat mixture; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven. Top with spinach, tomato, feta cheese, and olives. Serve immediately.
1 pita-half pizza: Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 840mg; Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 4g); Protein 18g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 15%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
Slow Cooker Hearty Pork Stew
Prep Time:25 min
Start to Finish:7 hr 10 min
makes:6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)
1 1/2 lb boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 1/2 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled parsnips
1 1/2 cups 1-inch cubes peeled butternut squash
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except flour and butter.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
3. In small bowl, mix flour and water; gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
1 Serving: Calories 280 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 750mg; Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 6g); Protein 30g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 170%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
Bacon-Spinach Turkey Meat Loaf with Tomato Jam
Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 40 min
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 box (9 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
1 slice uncooked bacon, chopped
1/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1/2 cup panko crispy bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg white
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 can (28 oz) organic whole peeled tomatoes
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, place 1/2 cup of the onion and half of the garlic; reserve for jam. Spray 8-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion to skillet; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Reduce heat to low; add tomato paste. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining garlic.
2. Spray broiler pan with rack with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix onion mixture and all remaining meat loaf ingredients. Shape into 8x5-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Bake 1 hour or until meat thermometer inserted in center of loaf reads 160°F. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make jam. Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add reserved onion and garlic to skillet; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden. Add brown sugar and lemon juice, stirring to loosen browned particles from bottom of skillet. Stir in remaining jam ingredients; break up tomatoes with spoon. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken. Strain jam though fine strainer; discard liquid.
4. To serve, cut loaf into 8 slices; top each slice with about 3 tablespoons warm jam.
1 serving: Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 20); Total Fat 2 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 570mg; Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 8g); Protein 17g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 1