Dark Chocolate Truffles
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 40 min
makes:3 dozen truffles
4 oz bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
4 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
1/2 cup crushed Chocolate Cheerios® cereal, finely chopped toasted pecans or flaked coconut
1. In 1-quart heavy saucepan, heat both chocolates over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and liqueur. Refrigerate about 2 hours, stirring once, until thick enough to hold a shape.
2. Place cereal on sheet of waxed paper. Drop chocolate mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cereal; roll lightly to coat (truffles do not need to be perfectly round). Serve immediately or cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
1 Truffle: Calories 45 (Calories from Fat 25); Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 0mg; Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 2g); Protein 0g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:1 hr
1 egg white
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
1. Line large cookie sheet with waxed paper. In medium bowl, beat egg white with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form; set aside.
2. In 2-quart heavy saucepan, mix water, corn syrup and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Without stirring, cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until syrup reaches 250°F on candy thermometer.
3. When syrup is 250°F, continue beating egg white on high speed while slowly pouring syrup into egg white. Beat 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture holds a soft peak and does not flatten when dropped from a spoon.
4. Fold in vanilla, nuts and cranberries. Quickly spoon mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Let stand about 30 minutes or until completely set.
1 Candy: Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 15); Total Fat 1 1/2g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 5mg; Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 18g); Protein 0g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: 1
Mini Deep-Dish Apple Pies
Prep Time:35 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 30 min
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free (skim) milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart baking apples (about 4 medium)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, cut into 6 pieces
1 tablespoon fat-free (skim) milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1. In small bowl, stir together all Pastry ingredients except milk until all flour is moistened. Sprinkle with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all milk is absorbed and pastry almost leaves side of bowl. Gather pastry into ball. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil; place 6 (6 oz) custard cups in pan. In large bowl, mix all Filling ingredients except apples and butter until blended. Stir in apples. Divide apple mixture evenly among custard cups; top each with piece of butter.
3. Between 2 sheets of waxed paper or cooking parchment paper, roll pastry into 7-inch circle. Using 2 to 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cutout pastry into 6 desired shapes. Place cutouts over apple mixture in each custard cup. Using Topping ingredients, lightly brush cutouts with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and juice begins to bubble. Cool on cooling rack at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with frozen yogurt or reduced-fat ice cream, if desired.
1 Serving: Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 115mg; Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 25g); Protein 2g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
Frozen Pistachio Cream Dessert with Ruby Raspberry Sauce
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:5 hr 30 min
1 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (about 30 cookies)
1/2 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1 package (8 oz) fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 box (4-serving size) pistachio instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1 container (8 oz) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
1 package (10 oz) frozen raspberries in syrup, partially thawed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
Reserved 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
1. In medium bowl, mix crust ingredients; press firmly in bottom of ungreased 8-inch square pan or 9-inch springform pan.
2. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in pudding mix and milk until combined; beat on medium speed until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally. Reserve 1 cup of the whipped topping for garnish; cover and refrigerate. With rubber spatula, fold remaining whipped topping into cream cheese mixture until well blended. Spoon over crust. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
3. Meanwhile, in blender or food processor, blend raspberries, sugar and liqueur until smooth. Place strainer over small bowl; pour raspberry mixture into strainer. Press with back of spoon through strainer to remove seeds; discard seeds.
4. Let dessert thaw in refrigerator about 1 hour before serving. Carefully run knife around sides of pan. If using springform pan, remove side of pan; leave dessert on pan bottom. Top each serving with reserved whipped topping, the raspberry sauce and about 1/2 teaspoon chopped pistachios.
1 Serving: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 29g); Protein 7g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 10%; Iron 4% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3