Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:45 min
6 corn tortillas (6-inch)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium Anaheim, poblano or jalapeño chile, seeded, chopped
1 carton (32 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
Avocado slices, if desired
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, if desired
Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Brush both sides of tortillas with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cut tortillas in half; cut halves into 1/4-inch strips. Place in single layer on cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until strips begin to brown, stirring once halfway through baking; cool. Strips will become crisp when cooled.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and chile; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in broth, tomatoes and salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken; heat until hot.
3. To serve, divide half of tortilla strips among 6 individual serving bowls; ladle in soup. Top with avocado and cheese; garnish with remaining tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
1 Serving: Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 710mg; Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 3g); Protein 15g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
Curried Sweet Potato, Lentil and Chicken Soup
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:30 min
makes:6 servings (about 1 1/4 cups each)
1 large or 2 medium dark-orange sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
2 cans (19 oz each) lentil soup
1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
1. In 3-quart saucepan heat sweet potatoes, onion, apple juice and water to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; cook 5 minutes.
2. Stir in soup, beans, chicken and curry powder. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
1 Serving: Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 670mg; Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 6g); Protein 14g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 150%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 1 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Cuban Black Bean Soup
Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 35 min
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 2/3 cups dried black beans (1 lb), sorted and rinsed
1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
3 cups 50% less sodium beef broth
3 cups water
1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)
Chopped hard-cooked eggs , if desired
Additional chopped onions, if desired
1. In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook 1 cup chopped onion and the garlic in oil 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients except eggs and additional chopped onions; heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
3. Serve soup topped with eggs and onions.
Slow Cooker Directions: Decrease water to 1 3/4 cups. In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except eggs and additional chopped onions. Cover and cook on High heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until beans are tender. Serve soup topped with eggs and onions.
1 Serving (about 1 1/2 cups): Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 650mg; Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 13g, Sugars 5g); Protein 17g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20% Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:30 min
makes:6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
2 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
1. In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink in center. Stir in onion. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
2. Stir in broth, water and carrots. Heat to boiling. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Stir in broccoli, noodles, basil and garlic-pepper blend. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and noodles are tender. Top each serving with cheese.
1 Serving: Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 730mg; Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 3g); Protein 15g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 110%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 10%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 2 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1