Halloween Bits and Bites
Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:15 min
makes:30 servings (1/4 cup each)
4 1/2 cups Corn Chex® cereal
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (3 oz)
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup candy corn
1 cup salted cocktail peanuts
1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Microwave about 15 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 1-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Add candy corn and peanuts; shake to mix. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
1 Serving: Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 45); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 100mg; Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 11g); Protein 2g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
Black Cat Canapés
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:30 min
30 slices (1/2 inch thick) white, rye or pumpernickel bread
Olive oil cooking spray
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup pitted kalamata olives, drained, patted dry with paper towel, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper or foil. Cut 30 cat shapes out of bread using 2 1/2- to 3-inch cat-shaped cookie cutter. (Discard or save excess bread for another use.) Place bread cats on cookie sheets. Spray with cooking spray; turn over. Spray other side with cooking spray.
2. Bake 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix garlic, olives, olive oil, lemon juice and pepper.
4. Serve toasted bread with olive dip.
1 Appetizer: Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g); Protein 4g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Prep Time:5 min
Start to Finish:5 min
makes:16 servings (5 oz each)
1 quart lime sherbet, slightly softened
1 container (12 oz) frozen limeade, thawed
1 bottle (1 liter) diet ginger ale
Gummy worm candies, if desired
Lime slices, if desired
1. In punch bowl, mix sherbet, limeade and ginger ale.
2. Pour into glasses. Garnish each glass with candy and lime slices. Serve immediately.
1 Serving: Calories 110 (Calories from Fat 5); Total Fat 1/2g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 20mg; Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 17g); Protein 0g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 2%; Iron 0% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
Honey-Pumpkin Dessert Squares
Prep Time:25 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 15 min
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 cans (15 oz each) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 cup fat-free half-and-half
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
20 candy pumpkins
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, mix crust ingredients with fork until crumbly. Press in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Bake 10 minutes.
2. In large bowl, beat filling ingredients with wire whisk or electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Pour over partially baked crust.
3. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 40 minutes.
4. In chilled small bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Cut dessert into squares. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish each with candy pumpkin.
1 Serving: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 135mg; Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 28g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 140%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2