Mexican Macaroni and Cheese
Prep Time:25 min
Start to Finish:25 min
2 cups uncooked radiatore (nugget) pasta (6 oz)
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend (2 oz)
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1 small red bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles, drained
Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
1. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Return to saucepan.
2. Stir remaining ingredients except cilantro into pasta. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and sauce is hot. Sprinkle with cilantro.
1 Serving: Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 45); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 850mg; Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 4g); Protein 12g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 15%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 High-Fat Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 3
Beef Fried Rice
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:30 min
makes:6 servings (1 1/3 cups each)
1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 egg, beaten
1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
1 1/2 cups fresh snow pea pods, cut diagonally in half
8 medium green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
1. Cook rice in water as directed on package.
2. Meanwhile, brush 12-inch nonstick skillet with olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add beaten egg to skillet; cook 1 minute or until firm but still moist. Remove from skillet; cut into thin strips. Cover to keep warm.
3. In same skillet, cook beef, mushrooms and celery over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked.
4. In small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper sauce; stir into beef mixture. Add pea pods, onions, cooked egg and cooked rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until hot.
1 Serving: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 530mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g); Protein 19g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 4%; Iron 20% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Turkey Meat Loaves
Prep Time:10 min
Start to Finish:40 min
makes:6 servings (2 loaves each)
1 1/2 lb ground turkey breast
3/4 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup apple juice
3 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons apple juice
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mix all ingredients except 2 tablespoons apple juice.
2. Spoon mixture evenly into muffin cups, mounding tops. Brush tops with 2 tablespoons apple juice.
3. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center of loaf reads 165°F.
1 Serving: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 470mg; Total Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 4g); Protein 27g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 5 min
makes:8 servings (about 1 cup each)
1 bag (12 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/4 cups fat-free (skim) milk
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 1/4 lb), cooked, cut into bite-size pieces (about 4 cups)
1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1. Cook and drain vegetables as directed on bag.
2. Heat oven to 375°F. In 2-quart saucepan, mix flour, salt, poultry seasoning, pepper and milk with wire whisk until blended. Stir in onion. Cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
3. Stir in soup and sour cream. Add chicken and cooked vegetables; mix well. Cook, stirring frequently, until thoroughly heated. Pour into ungreased 2-quart round casserole. Unroll pie crust; place over hot filling. Seal edge and flute as desired. Cut slits in several places in crust.
4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1 Serving: Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 500mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 18g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 6% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2